The higher practical assessments available are outlined below.
You will need to have 5 years beekeeping experience and have passed the Basic Assessment to enter for this.
For those who already hold the General Husbandry Certificate.
Show Judge Certificate
In order to commence the assessment you must meet a number of entry requirements and hold the Basic Certificate. For full details please download the syllabus.
Candidates wishing to take the Show Judges Assessment must apply for a record book from the Examinations Board Secretary to record the following over a five year period
- Stewarding for a number of BBKA Judges at county or national level or honey shows with more than 100 entries;
- Judging at a number of Honey shows where 3 of the shows are assessed by 3 different BBKA Show Judges;
- A final supervised judging and viva voce;
- Record of awards at honey shows at third prize or higher at County or National level;
- Record of other relevant experience such as Show Secretary.
Honey Bee Health Certificate
This assessment will help beekeepers who have already passed their Basic Assessment acquire some of the skills needed at the General Husbandry level.
It aims to encourage beekeepers who have passed the Basic Assessment, and have at least three years of beekeeping experience, to improve their understanding and practice of beekeeping.
The candidate will be able to demonstrate a range of beekeeping skills.
Honey Bee Breeding Certificate
Introduced to promote the use and improvement of local bees, the assessment is equally applicable to honey bee breeders who work alone and those who work as part of a group.
It aims to encourage improvement in the skills and methodology applied to the selective breeding of honey bees that are adapted to local conditions and have desirable characteristics.
The candidates will be able to demonstrate a range of beekeeping skills related to queen rearing, honey bee breeding and selection.